Jan. 29, 2012
How To Achieve Your New Year’s Fitness Resolutions
Ok, it’s the end of January. How are you doing with your New Year’s Fitness Resolutions!!??
Did you know it’s been shown that 92% of all New Year’s Resolutions end in failure!
That means that more than 9 out of 10 people will fail at accomplishing their resolutions in 2012!
The 92% who fail all share a few common mistakes that puts the nail in their coffin before they’ve even begun.
So what does the successful 8% do that the other 92% don’t?
1. Make realistic goals, write them down, review regularly.
I am a huge believer in sitting down and handwriting your goals out. Then keep them visible and review regularly. Also write them in present or positive tenses. Such as I’m going to be 20 lbs lighter by June, etc… You must have a “WHY” for each of your goals. One of the biggest factors for making sure you reach your goals is to have an underlying reason as to why you want to reach this goal.
2. Create both outcome based goals and procedural goals.
Most of us create goals that are outcome based such as ‘I want to make more money”, “I want to lose more weight”, etc. These are strictly based on outcomes. If you set procedural goals as well you will be able to track your progress and reach your outcome goals. If your outcome goal is to lose 20 lbs and drop bodyfat by 15% then you need to set some action steps in place to accomplish this. It won’t magically happen just because you wrote it down. So an action step procedural goal might be to get in 20 workouts per month.
3. Find a support system.
Let’s face it, it is tough to reach your goals and stay internally motivated for the entire year. You will have periods of time that you struggle and find it hard to stay motivated. This is where a great support system comes into play. This can be family, friends, workout partners, or your fitness coaches. Having a built-in support system of coaches, friends and people that know exactly what you are going through and what you’re trying to accomplish makes a huge difference!
FOX 23 News had me on as a guest discussing this topic on goal setting success and you can check it out here- http://www.fox23.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=3179290
Follow these 3 main tips to help you successfully achieve your fitness resolutions in 2012!
P.S. In the FOX 23 video clip I also show a look at my recent co-authored international bestselling book “The Fit Formula”. Here is the link again-
Clint Howard, MS is the Founder/Director of Tulsa Fitness Systems located in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Clint has a Bachelors degree in Health & Exercise Science and a Masters degree in Exercise Physiology, both from the University of Oklahoma. Clint is a certified personal trainer through the National Strength & Conditioning Association and American College of Sports Medicine and is also a Certified Boot Camp Instructor through the National Exercise & Sports Trainers Association and a certified golf fitness expert through the Titleist Performance Institute.
To customize or remove this area, please go to your Admin panel and find My Theme -> Optin Form. Modify it at own will!